Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Just a boy on a cott.

So I'm not sure what originally started this habit, but I've been starting most of my journal entries with song lyrics. I try to choose lyrics that pertain to what I'm going to write about. I figure it just starts everything out on the right note.

"Which way will you run when it's always all around you? And the feeling lost and found you again...the feeling that we have no control."  - Jack Johnson

I feel like I have no control. This may come as bad news to some, but will have little to no effect on most, as I've been severely shirking my blogging responsibilities and have pretty much handed the reigns completely over to Marissa. The bad news is that I'm going to continue flying under the radar, but in an even more dramatic fashion. I have this constant urge to find out how everyone is doing back home and I, for some reason, need to be right in the middle of it. This is exactly what I didn't want when I travelled countless miles away from everything I know and love. This may seem like a horribly convoluted way of thinking, but I need to distance myself from 'home' and everything else that's implied with that idea. I am at a point in my life where I need to stop dwelling on the whereabouts and happenings of those across the globe and focus on myself and what I can make of this opportunity. I, as many of us have, have been hopelessly tethered to technology for as long as I can remember and it's finally time to break up with this life-long partner. I need to spend more time enjoying the gratifying feelings of appreciating the beautiful canvas Mother Nature has painted, engaging my brain in a deep conversation with a new friend, or simply reading a new book and letting my imagination stretch his legs.

I need to think about what I really intend to accomplish on this trip and beyond, and certain things are hindering this. I am not going to get on Facebook for at least a month, but hopefully longer; I'm having Marissa change my password for me after I finish today. I don't want to set a schedule for the blog, but it will be at least a week. I will check my email only when I get on here to post. It could be one week, two, or even a month. I'm also giving up skyping for an undetermined amount of time. This is actually one of my favorite things to do, but it always leads to time wasted on other things. I'm also indefinitely quitting texting those not in Australia. My only communication with those back home with be through these intermittent blog postings, along with email replies and the occasional phone call on a rainy day. I know you want to know what is going on, so this is a selfish change of heart, but I'm sure Marissa will continue posting on here and on Facebook. Sorry, avid readers.


Send me an email. I'll be happy to hear from you every once in awhile.

weeks.robert.j@gmail.com

-R.

2 comments:

  1. I'm impressed Roberto...and slightly jealous that you get a break from everything and everyone. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good call on the technology thing 'rob' (i like that name for you), it will be good for you. but don't quit posting all together, it's too much fun to read what you write! :)

    ReplyDelete