Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Fortnight in a New Castle

So we made it out of Sydney alive. We got to a place called Newcastle last Friday. We're staying in a hostel about a block from the beach. And man, this place is amazing compared to the other two backpackers we've stayed in. It's immaculate. Maybe that's because they have such amazing people cleaning the place... haha.

Let me explain. We're staying here for at least two weeks. That's the minimum stay for the deal we've got with the owner. We clean two hours every morning, and that pays for our accomodation. Pretty sweet deal. And the cleaning usually only takes like an hour, realistically, so it's not even bad. I'm enjoying it. The guy we work with is Canadian, and he calls us Team America.

I love Newcastle. I would live here. It's a town about the size of Logan, but it's right on the beach. People are friendly, it's very clean, and it's got a good vibe about it. If I had friends here, I'd be in love. It does get rather boring  because we don't have much to do, but I'm already happier here than I was in Sydney.

The only downside is that it's spring, and it's super rainy. But we're just spending time here to make some money, then head up north to spend some time in the sun, so it's okay.

Yesterday was nice, though, so we went out. There was a big fair on Darby Street, one of the main drags in town. It was awesome. I got myself a new apron. I'm a junkie, I know. And there was one guy going August Rush all over his guitar. We stood and watched for far too long. It was a good experience. It's a very artsy, hippie place. There are people walking around in costumes, and going barefoot is normal. And everyone surfs. Except us... but that will change. While we're here, we plan to: surf, para sail, kayak, skydive, and swim with some sharks. Then up north, we'll scuba dive and snorkel, and all that good stuff.

So we will be in Newcastle for at least two weeks, maybe longer. We're talking to a guy about another job today, so we'll see. But I have less than two months left, so I've got to scurry up the coast. But I also have to come home with more money than I was planning on, because I have to pay for housing and books for Spring Semester. So if any girls will have a vacancy in their apartment, let me know, because I'll be looking.

So we're still alive and kickin'. We're the lamest backpackers ever because we don't go out drinking, and we go to bed early, but we're having fun. We're getting along great, which I think was a concern of both of ours. But this time together has been really good for us. We haven't really spent significant time together since high school, and I've missed it. I really love my brother, and I think the world of him. And he takes care of me.

New developments for those of you that know me particularly well: my appetite is completely back, with a vengeance. Plus, Robert and I get "treats!" almost every day. Yesterday was an orange cake. It's Gelato about half the time... When we come home, we're opening a Gelato place called the Gelottery. It was Robert's idea.

Well kids, expect picture soon. It's hard to find enough time to upload them on slow internet.

Oh, if anyone knows anyone that lives on the east coast, let us know. We're looking for actual houses to stay in, with good food and showers and laundry and internet. You'd be surprised how quickly you get sick of NOT having those things. And we caved and got a cell phone, so any connections would be nice. We'll ask anyone. We've learned that the worst that can happen is that someone says no. But the best thing that can happen is that we meet someone new, and have a good time.

That's all for now, folks. Keep posted, because the adventure is only going to get better from here. Summer is about to kick in, and it's going to be epic.

Love,
Marissa

1 comment:

  1. By the other two backpackers you've stayed in, is that auzzie for hostel?

    ReplyDelete