Wednesday, December 1, 2010

So grateful (my list).

So these last fews days have been interesting, and highly stressful. Not only do I go home soon and still don't know where I'm living, but things have gone wrong right and left. We missed our flight from Brisbane to Sydney, and I lost my purse later that day. Ultimately, we reached our destination, in one piece, with all our belongings. And I've realized that no matter what, things will always go wrong. It doesn't matter how much I prepare. It's hard for me to admit that because I'm such a planner. I hate being late, I hate being unprepared.

So instead of complaining more, this post is about what I'm grateful for. I didn't get to celebrate Thanksgiving the way I traditionally do, so consider this my tribute to the food I missed out on.

     I'm grateful for the gospel. "I believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ like I believe in the rising sun: not because I can see it, but because by it I can see everything else." Because of the gospel in my life, I know that even when things don't go according to my plan, they're still going accoding to His plan, and it will all be okay.
     I'm grateful for my family, especially my parents. Yeah, both of them. They've been the most supportive people in the world. They've supported me not only physically and financally, but mentally, spiritually, and emotionally. My family has never failed me, and I hope that in the end, they can say the same about me. They're all such strong, unique, wonderful individuals, and each brings something so necessary to our family. I love them so much.
     I'm grateful for my education. I love to learn. I love school. I love the smell of new textbooks in the morning. I love spending hours in the library, studying things I'm passionate about and learning things that I never knew I never knew. Because of where I live, I've been so blessed to have an education so easily accessible.
     I'm grateful for music. Being on the go for the last 2 months has made me yearn for my old life in this regard. I miss having a piano and my violin at my fingertips. I yearn for yet another music calling in the church. I'd give anything for someone to come and ask me to accompany them. And I miss driving through Logan Canyon with my windows rolled down, blasting Owl City or Mae as loud as my pathetic system would let us. I miss going to Why Sound, or driving to SLC for good shows with good friends. Music is such an integral part of who I am. Music is how I serve. Music is how I share my testimony. Music is how I relax. Music is how I get pumped up. I'm so grateful for the world I've grown up with, so full of beauty and music.
     I'm grateful for the opportunities I've had in my life. I've had opportunities to be involved in school and the community. I've been able to live various places, and meet so many wonderful people. I've been able to do a little bit of traveling, and see some of the world. I'm so blessed.

So now, thanks to Robert's promptings, I present to you my list. I've been very wary to put this online, fearing I've forgotten people. I would strongly recommend tryng this exercise. 100 people sounds like a lot, but I could make a list of 500 people that have influenced my life. This list includes many people from my past, so don't be offended if you are a new friend and didn't make the list. I promise that this is not all inclusive. These are the people that have played a large role in either getting me where I am physically in this life, or giving me wonderful examples for how I want to live my life in the future. These people give me new ways to look at my life and the world around me. These people inspired me to try something new, or be just a little bit better tomorrow. I cheated a little bit and combined married couples. One thing to notice is that I didn't include much extended family. This is because I could fill this whole list with just my family. So my family has done most of the work in forming who I am, but I need to recognize some other people right now. That doesn't mean I appreciate you any less. All my aunt, uncles, and cousins have been such blessings in my life, and I hope they know that. So here it is, my list of 100 people that have been the most influential in my life:
  1. Katherine and Richard Weeks
  2. Rachel and Robert Shupe
  3. Stephen and Chelle Weeks
  4. Laura and Wayne Clark
  5. Robert Weeks
  6. Emily Weeks
  7. Bob and Fay Pennock
  8. Helen and Clyde Weeks
  9. Karen and Chris Cleveland
  10. Dave and Gigi Pennock
  11. Michael and Laura Pennock
  12. Mrs. Patricia Thurber (Grade 3)
  13. Mr. Darren Webster (Grade 6)
  14. Mrs. Pease (Grade 5)
  15. Doc Jensen
  16. Mrs. Leah Tarrant
  17. Mr. George Curtis
  18. Diane Wright
  19. Robb Hoch
  20. Kevin Tindall
  21. Molly Critchfield
  22. Chelsea McArthur
  23. Maren Reeves
  24. Danny Oka
  25. Joseph K Sagers
  26. Alex Phillips
  27. Briahna Mounteer
  28. Jordan White
  29. Morgan Lail
  30. Thaddeus Schulte
  31. Malyssa Eardley
  32. Michael Fitzgerald
  33. Emily Stephens
  34. Doug May
  35. Dallin Martin
  36. Peter Barrett
  37. Monica Walker
  38. Wendy Vu
  39. Bethany Hess
  40. Katie Walkingshaw
  41. Sherril Fairbourn
  42. Cheryl Vaughn
  43. Sheila Zolman
  44. Lindsey Hayes
  45. Katie Howell Ford
  46. Bishop Ed Redd
  47. Brother Coleman
  48. Tania Knight
  49. Christopher J. Thatcher
  50. James Gardner
  51. Levi Gardner
  52. Kyle Klein
  53. Autumn Jones
  54. Wilenys Lastre
  55. Marissa Worsham
  56. Kortney Schlappi
  57. Kailee Jorgensen
  58. Alyssa Williams
  59. Matthew Prawitt
  60. DJ Zolman
  61. Todd Neimann
  62. Martin (Ma Ping)
  63. Ben Brown
  64. Hope Coon
  65. Stefanie Royall
  66. Cassie Banov
  67. Aaron Brown
  68. Penny and Grant Owen
  69. Paul and Deeann Vowels
  70. Rhett Keaton
  71. Ashley Moutsos
  72. Diana Calder
  73. Christian Inglis
  74. Darren Gardner
  75. Kaylee Sandstrom
  76. Clark Porter
  77. Kelsi Callister
  78. Christian Orr
  79. Nils Nelson
  80. Aubrey Loomis
  81. Elizabeth Atkinson
  82. Erik Mikkelson
  83. Jeremiah Ginn
  84. Zack Vandermyde
  85. Dan Rogers
  86. Richard Orcutt
  87. Sam Harkless
  88. Eric Davies
  89. Aleishia Dudley
  90. Krista Brown
  91. Mariah Poole
  92. Richard Perry
  93. Kasey Van Dyke
  94. Katie Steed
  95. Catherine Meidell
  96. Tyler Tolley
  97. Chris Bowen
  98. Thomas Gappmayer
  99. Mandy and Bruce Inglis
  100. Jesus Christ
And I leave the same invitation that Robert did. If you want to know why you did or did not make this list, please feel free to email you. If you didn't make it, odds are that you're on my rough draft of about 150 people. There are some people that none of my family or current friends even know, and it may not seem like their impact was worth of the list, but I promise that everyone on this list deserves to be there. I've learned something important from every one of these people, and I thank them for that. I've been so blessed in my life.

-Riss.
marissa.fay.weeks@aggiemail.usu.edu

2 comments:

  1. love you (:
    I'm so excited to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog marissa. i love the part about smelling new textbooks in the morning! you're awesome, and i love you. enjoy your last few days down under!!

    ReplyDelete